The whole venture began very inauspiciously, with an Indian bobble of my head. You see, I suggested that Rob try to set up the tent, it being our first use, IN THE GARAGE, so that we would be able to do it more rapidly once at the site. So, Rob did... out in the schoolyard across the street.
Now, there is a phenomenon called the S_ Curse. It has to do with cars, rain or sometimes cars and rain. Accordingly, it began to pour. So Rob and our neighborhood Eagle Scout quickly disassembled the soaked tent and hung it on the porch to dry. Thankfully, the weather turned out to be beautiful while we camped. Maybe all of my just-harvested garlic had a weakening effect on the curse. Yes, that must be it.
Over all, I think it went well. The kids had a blast. Everyone had tasty food. The adults seemed as relaxed as is possible with a posse of kids running around. We even saw Sophie's beloved
madrina, Boo. We came home filthy, scratchy, exhausted and happy.
 |
| Oh, the love! How long did it last in such close quarters? Long enough, I guess. |
 |
| the first casting lesson |
 |
| setting up camp |
 |
| our view |
 |
| There is a little "Ty" in me too, I guess. |
 |
| We found this old skeleton. A deer? Anyways, I said, "Sophie, you should touch it. Pick it up." Inside, I was disgusted; but there is no good in squashing my kids' "'satiable curtiosity." |
 |
| How propitious! We have been studying reptiles, specifically snakes. And there were snakes all over the place! Again, "Ty, you should touch it. Pick it up." And again, as I was so squeamish inside, I kept my cool externally and Ty loved touching the snake! |
 |
J and I made some super-tasty shiro wat over an open fire. I even threw some incense on the coals, to increase the Ethiopian-ness.
 |
| Sophie and friends, happily skipping around. |
|
 |
| Despite how the children look, Sophie and Ty enjoyed the canoe ride. We saw eagles, herons, cranes and red-winged black birds. Girumy was freaked the entire time. Poor kid. |
 |
| Five minutes into the ride home and G was out, for a two hour, drool dripping nap! |
 |
| Post-nap snack... which papA allowed in the car! Unbelievable! Ty finished up the best camping meal ever: pre-assembled burritos, put in foil. All we did was heat them on the coals... delicious! |
So, I am sure that we will try this again... some time. I, well... sleeping on the ground was much easier in my memories. I was so cold and so uncomfortable actually, that I slept in the car both nights. I guess I'm getting weak in my old age.
Nevertheless, to camping!
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario