30 diciembre 2015

The garden

As I look out the window beside me, I see our neighbors' blindingly white roof.  To the front is the snow-covered cemetery in the distance.  Thankfully there are cozily decorated walls to my left and behind me to keep me from feeling as though I were trapped in a snow globe.  Ah!  The horror!

Also thankfully, the seed magazines continue to arrive, showing me all of the onions that I can begin growing in just one month.  Wahoo!

So, as I prefer not to set myself up for public failure, I haven't shared last year's garden goal: to grow a decent onion.  Now, I will share that I realized my goal.  I grew several nicely sized, tasty onions.  How?  Well, apart from God's mercy, I think it was starting the seeds in January and then the soaker hose.  Irrigation makes all of the difference.

As for the upcoming year, I will vaguely share (in case anyone has any advice) my goals: 1) I would like to grow a decent melon.  2)  I would like to grow enough food to last a bit into the fall.  I have very specific ideas for Goal 2, but I shall keep them under wraps until I see how close I come.

God, thank you for the gifts of the earth, water and life!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario