13 febrero 2014

The great tempeh experiment of 2014

I have decided to try to make tempeh.  We love it, but it is quite expensive; so if I can make it here, all the better!  I didn't have dry soybeans on hand, so I made a chickpea, brown rice, and barley version.

Here is the little banana-leaf package:
After about 36 hours of incubation, we had:

Mmm... mold.  Just what I was going for!

I'm going to cook it up and we'll have it for lunch.  I, however, have actually already tried a bit: Whenever I make something... alive... I feel like I need to try it in advance, just in case it turns out to be poisonous.  Isn't that ridiculous?  I sampled the raw milk that I used to give G and I always test the kombucha batches before passing it along to the babes. Most people aren't afraid of the seriously poisonous food that they eat; but here I am, nervous, of real food.  So far I feel fine, so I think that it's a go for lunch!

1 comentario:

  1. Good of you to be cautious. Especially if there is something uncertain about the bacteria, it would affect the little people so much worse than an adult! I say, keep testing it on yourself first! We know we're building immunity in plenty of other ways, so no point to risk such ugliness in their little systems.

    ResponderEliminar