22 junio 2015

Harvest Monday

I haven't been photographing much lately, as I tend to harvest as needed, making for less-than-impressive photos.  We have had radishes, lots of salads (of deer tongue lettuce, chrysanthEmum greens, chard, herbs), turnips, green garlic, garlic scapes, green onions, peas, and kale.

We have a salad like the above probably every other day.  We eat the garlic scapes, raw, as a snack; I have pickled some; and I have made Daphne's garlic scape dressing, which went over very well last night.

Most of the turnips we have eaten raw for lunch.  Above you will see a jarful that I pickled and which are delicious after three days!

I am really excited about the large cherry harvest awaiting me, the TONS of raspberries and the few, but gorgeous, currants, TONS of grapes, garlic and onions!  I have never successfully grown a nice, large, tasty onion, let alone a crop of them; but this is the year.  I started the seeds in January and they are starting to bulb up already.  I am really excited!

Enjoy perusing others' harvest at Daphne's Dandelions.


6 comentarios:

  1. Good luck with the onions! I've grown them for a number of years with only one year that I could call successful. But I keep on trying because they are so great when it works out!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I bet you can't wait for those cherries. It is one fruit that I would love to have but don't in the yard. The only place I could have planted one was in the rock wall garden and they would have been way too hard to pick there. So I stuck with the bigger fruit.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I wish we could manage even a medium cherry harvest, The wood pigeons devastated the leaves on our plot tree.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I wish we could manage even a medium cherry harvest, The wood pigeons devastated the leaves on our plot tree.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. I grew onions for the first time last year - it was almost like magic watching them get bigger and bigger.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Starting onions in january - great idea! In my zone, I'll be better off starting them in the fall and letting them hibernate over winter. The soil freezes solid in my neck of the woods.

    ResponderEliminar