07 agosto 2013

Soil makes me happy

I was blessed to be able to spend an entire day out at our CSA farm, LotFotL, yesterday.  We started at 8AM out in the weedy sweet onion patch, pulling and bundling ENORMOUS onions.  Once we had harvested them all, we moved on to the carrots, thousands of carrots.

There is another useful tool that I saw in action yesterday.  It, like the transplanter, is also pulled by the tractor.  It has a long metal bar that cuts about a foot down into the earth and then gets dragged there, a foot down, parallel to the earth's surface, loosening all of the soil above it.  So then, all one has to do is find the carrot top and gently pull the root out of the earth.  Sweet!... especially considering that I had imagined having to use a fork to lift them all.

So, we spent a good six hours in the invigorating and hot sun pulling, bundling, cleaning and packing carrots... orange, yellow, nearly white, purple.  I now have a bonafide farmers' tan... and I don't mind it one bit.

I think that all pants should look like this at the end of a day's work!


 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario