I had long wanted to name my son Israel, for a few reasons.
The first was/is because "Israel" is God's chosen people and we were choosing our son through adoption.
Two weeks before we went to Ethiopia to meet our Israel, I was at the last minute asked to go to Mexico, to Esperanza Viva. There, a day after telling one of the women about our soon-to-be-ours son, she said, "I've been thinking: You chose his name because you are choosing him, right?" "Yes." And then she told me that she couldn't sleep the previous night because she couldn't stop thinking that really it's because he is God's chosen son. "YES!"
I have thought about that a lot over the past two and a half difficult years. Israel was chosen by God to be our son. He is a precious gift from God, which I have intensely experienced. The child is, as his Ethiopian name means, amazing. I am so grateful that God made him a part of our family. Israel has been and continues to be the hugging arms and encouraging words of Jesus. The body of Christ.
Why am I going on so? Well, it is exactly five years ago that we brought Baby Israel home, so I've been reminiscing. And I also want Israel to be able to read this someday and understand.

Amen to that and praise God from whom all blessings flow! What a precious gift he is! I am eternally grateful for that little boy :) Love you all!
ResponderEliminar