11 agosto 2014

This week's harvest

kale, another till-now-hidden garlic, zucchini, cucumbers, one okra pod (What do I do with that?), our first aronia berries and that ground cherry, which is a representative of the handfuls that we've eaten straight out of the yard
more zucchini, a bit of broccoli, a sad tomato that had fallen off of the vine unripened, a few yellow pear tomatoes, more cucumbers (whose plants have just caught the mildew), enough mint to keep a large gathering of Moroccans happily in tea and a few onions (Although they are so small, these are the largest onions that I have ever grown.  To next year!)
Couch potatoes!  Ha!  That was Berto's idea.  I think that even Papa (No, I did not forget the accent.) Moerkerke would be proud!  These are the German Butterball and I am so thrilled.  I have only ever grown la Ratte before, so to pull such large tubers out of the ground was such fun!  (Ah, the simple pleasures.)  Now I need to figure out how best to keep them, considering that there are still more yet to pick.
The rest of la Ratte
Ho-hum.  We've been snacking on the cucumbers, so they disappear quite quickly, and the zucchini has been going into delicious zucchini-chocolate bread.
My harvests have been rather boring lately.  In hopes of more diversity in Autumn, I have recently (re)planted: carrots, radishes, kohlrabi, mibuna, mizuna, dill, parsley, kale, beans, and cucumbers.  Soon to be sown are mache (Excuse the missing circonflexe.), beets, Belle Isle cress and probably some more buckwheat for green manure.

Check out others' harvests at Daphne's Dandelions!

3 comentarios:

  1. That is a lot of potatoes. No room in my garden for them this year, but maybe next. And those squash look lovely!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I would not call this boring at all. Beautiful produce.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I guess boring is in the eye of the beholder. I think your harvests look great.

    ResponderEliminar