04 agosto 2014

This week's harvest... ... wait for it... ...

So, I haven't been as diligent in photo-documenting our harvests this week.  We have eaten several cucumbers straight out of the yard and given away as much.  I smashed up so many zucchini with potatoes and garlic before it occurred to me to snap them into posterity.  And, the saddest reason is that I feel defeated and therefore am a bit sulky about the garden.  After all of the work we've done to rout out the ravenous rabbits, one little, but oh-so-destructive, Nibbler somehow found a way in and decimated my patch of Dragon's Tongue beans.  Ugh.  Accordingly, I have put a $10 bounty on its head.  I have told the children that if they can catch it with their net, I will pay up and they may buy whatever they want.  Yes, I am that desperate.  I really do think that Ty will be able to do it.  The children have spent good chunks of time already at this task and if they can just work together, I believe they will be successful.  In the mean time, I am considering how I might protect the newest beans that I've planted.  I don't want to turn our beautiful yarden into a fenced in jungle, but I might.

Here is what I did manage to capture:
Delicious cucumbers; kale; a mixture of Dragon's Tongue (pre-decimation), Purple Podded Pole and some green beans; zucchini, basil; and the first ground cherries
More poppy seeds and some lovely carrots
More super-tasty cucumbers, the last of the first batch of carrots, some beets (How tiny they are compared to those from our CSA!) and two garlic bulbs that had been hiding
Enough said.

I also harvested another half of a large bucket of la Ratte potatoes, four cucumbers and more zucchini from the dacha.  And finally, the eggs haven't been as plentiful, maybe because of Ilka's broodiness and the heat: There have maybe been 14 this week.

...
...
...
And...
A lovely salad: kale, oregano, borage flowers, onion, mint, beans, cucumbers, mizuna, chrysanthemum greens, chard, rat-tail radishes, some random red lettuce that I found hiding, broccoli side-shoots, marjoram, parsley, basil and... THAT ENORMOUS, AWESOME, DELICIOUS, DELICIOUS, DELICIOUS TOMATO!!!!!!!  AH!!!!!!!  THANK YOU, GOD!!!!!!
Check out others' harvests at Daphne's Dandelions.

1 comentario:

  1. Lovely harvests. And whoohoo for your tomato. My garden is definitely a fenced fortress. A good fence and covers here and there to keep the insects out. I hate them, but I'm keeping them because they work too well.

    ResponderEliminar