11 marzo 2015

Reading

We spend at least an hour a day reading aloud.  Part of that time is devoted to a longer chapter book, to work on the kids' attention, memory, etc.  We have gone through Charlotte's Web more times than I want to admit, a lot of the Ramona books, A Year with Miss Agnes, My Father's Dragon, The Boxcar Children, and many others.  Well, recently we came to a rough spot: We began reading The Blind Girl's Song, but none of us was really into it; we tried Ballet Shoes, with the same result.  Then I saw The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe looking down at me from the top bookshelf.  The kids were immediately drawn in!  Every time I read a chapter, they beg me for more.  They beg!  I love it.

A funny note:  On Saturday mornings, I hide out in my room for a while, while Papá makes pancakes and plays/reads with the kids.  Well, last Saturday, I came out to get some more coffee... and there was Rob, reading to the kids from my hard-fought treasure!  "Oh, no!  That book is MY jurisdiction!"  He didn't understand what the big deal was, so I explained the torture of three little kids trying to endure boredom.  So, I sent him back to Ramona the Pest, which he had chosen to begin reading again to the kids.  Ha!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario